Hiring a professional painting service can simplify the process of repainting your home. Unfortunately, painting services are not all created equal. It is important to know what you should look for in a quality painting professional. The following guide will help you choose the right painting service for your next project.
The best place to start is by talking to friends, family members, and acquaintances who have recently used a professional painter. Other industry professionals, such as your local paint store or contractors, may be able to put you in touch with a quality painting service. It is also a good idea to see if any complaints have been filed against the contractor with your local Better Business Bureau.
You should get quotes from at least three painting services. As a general rule, the estimates should be similar. You should avoid an estimate that seems too good to be true. There is a good chance that contractor will be cutting corners or may be using substandard products.
Once you have narrowed your list of potential candidates, you should conduct interviews. The following questions can help you identify a quality painting contractor:
• Does the service guarantee their work?
• Is the service licensed and bonded?
• Can the service provide references?
• How long has the company been in business?
• Does the service actually perform the work or do they hire subcontractors?
During the interview, a quality painting contractor will be punctual, courteous, knowledgeable, and responsive to your questions.
Arrange to Speak with References:
If possible, try to speak with two or three of the company’s past customers. Ask detailed questions about their experience and try to view the painting service’s work first hand if feasible.
Get Details in Writing:
Once you have decided on a painting contractor, make sure you ask for a written contract and review the details carefully. A quality painting contractor will including the following in their contract:
- The exact area to be painted
- Details about how the area is to be prepped before painting and cleaned up afterward
The exact cost of the project
- The exact start and completion time for the project
- The colors that will be used
- How the contractor will protect furniture and other household items
These simple steps will provide you peace of mind that you have hired the right painter
for the job and will end up with a beautifully painted home.